refined.



I've had this on my heart for a while...a few months actually, but wasn't reminded of it again until this past weekend while I was out camping. It was so refreshing to be surrounded by God's beauty. To simply enjoy his goodness. However, I was admiring the awesome fire my husband built and the thought came back to me. 

refining. 

Sounds like a beautiful word and it is....there is something about the refining process that encourages you to grow and learn, but also to endure a great deal of pain at times as the impurities are burned away. 

According to the dictionary,
refining means to bring to a fine or a pure state; freed from impurities; to become pure. 

We all have seasons in our life where we feel the flames surrounding us and it’s difficult in those times of affliction to understand that God can use those times to bring beauty out of our brokenness. Refining is a good thing and brings us closer to God. It is in the times when the circumstances surrounding you feel overwhelming…that God may be teaching you something very important. It's natural to want to fast forward through it, but you learn more in the struggle, then when all is going well. There are many people in the Bible who proved this to be true in their own relationships with God. 

The Apostle Paul comes to mind. 

"...five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked."
- 2 Corinthians 11:24-27

His refining process was intense...any yet, his life is a testimony to the goodness of God and what He can do if we cling to Him as we walk through the flames of trials, suffering and affliction. God took an imperfect Paul and used him because he was willing. Sure, he struggled...but he didn't give up. 

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day." - 2 Corinthians 4:16

My other challenge is finding joy despite the circumstances surrounding me. It was on the organization application form that I had to fill out before serving in Uganda. 

Be joyfully flexible. 

Sounds great....not so easy. I don't want to bend until I break...resisting and holding back. I long to surrender myself so that God can use me how He desires. To move in His Spirit. And to find the joy of the Lord in all things. Whether good or bad. Whether walking through flames or not. 

Isaiah 43:1-2, encourages me that despite the flames...God is with me and He is with you. 

"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze."

We are all going to have times where we feel we are walking alone through the desert, fire burning all around us, overwhelmed by waves crashing down on us. But He will never leave us or forsake us. He knows what is best for us, and He knows what will challenge us and grow us. 


Isaiah 48:10 says,
“See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction

 I know God allows us to come to a place where our faith can grow. Where the burning away of all impurities or suffering is wearing on us, but is for a greater purpose. I came across this story about 6 months ago and I feel it really speaks to this. 


THE SILVERSMITH

Some time ago, a few ladies met to study the scriptures. While reading the third chapter of Malachi, they came upon a remarkable expression in the third verse:
"And He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver" (Malachi 3:3).
One lady decided to visit a silversmith, and report to the others on what he said about the subject.
She went accordingly, and without telling him the reason for her visit, begged the silversmith to tell her about the process of refining silver. 
After he had fully described it to her, 
she asked, "Sir, do you sit while the work of refining is going on?"
"Oh, yes ma'am," replied the silversmith; "I must sit and watch the furnace constantly, for, if the time necessary for refining is exceeded in the slightest degree, the silver will be injured."
The lady at once saw the beauty and comfort of the expression,
 "He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver."
God sees it necessary to put His children into the furnace; but His eye is steadily intent on the work of purifying, and His wisdom and love are both engaged in the best manner for us. Our trials do not come at random, and He will not let us be tested beyond what we can endure.
Before she left, the lady asked one final question, 
"How do you know when the process is complete?"
"That's quite simple," replied the silversmith. 
"When I can see my own image in the silver, the refining process is finished."

-Author Unknown


So, the more we allow God to burn away all that is not pleasing to Him, or trust Him through our affliction and pain...the more we begin to look like Him. The more our life becomes a testimony of God's strength and glory revealed through our weakness.

Paul says it this way,
"That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:10

and....

"Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."
- Romans 5:1-5

So,
Suffering = endurance = character = hope.
And that is the beauty of being refined. For His purpose. For His glory. The joy of the Lord can be your strength as you are being refined. Hold onto Him...no matter what life throws your way. 

One last verse to leave you with...
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from the beginning to end." - Ecclesiastes 3:11

We serve a great and awesome God and He knows you. 
Just trust Him.
And allow yourself to become more like Him.


Comments

  1. Finally! Does this mean I should stop checking hopedreamimaginemore.blogspot.com. :)

    Miss you.
    xoxo
    Sheri-Lee
    P.S. I have to post this under Stephen's account because you don't allow anonymous commentators. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes! I have made a switch and will hopefully do more writing now...this one was super long. I have changed the comment settings, the anonymous can now comment. Thanks for letting me know about that!

      Delete
  2. This definitely paints a different picture than the one that is painted for us by many tele-evangelists. Through Christ we have the strength to carry on in this life and do the work He has called us to do....to tell the world about Him and to take care of the orphans and the widows,etc
    Gord

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts