letter to my one year old

Dear Silas,

I took an extra minute to hold you close tonight.
I stopped to think of how much you've grown over this past year.
This has been the fastest year of my life. The days blurred together, and somewhere between sleepless nights and extra feedings... you grew up.

You turned one today.

You have been in my life for one whole year. I can remember the day you were born like it was yesterday. I was nervous, not knowing what to expect. Exhausted from nine months of creating. A little overwhelmed with the treasure I would soon hold and truly amazed at how you captivated my heart the moment I first saw you. Your little dimples were the first thing I noticed about you.


But in a blink of an eye, you have discovered your toes and you have learned to wave. You scrunch up your nose and speak with your eyes as if holding a million little secrets. You definitely have a mischievous side ;) and you have me in awe of the handiwork of God.

Your daddy thinks it's silly when I say I'm a little sad you're growing up. I think it's because the more you grow, the more you discover and figure out how to do on your own, the less you need me. And yet, watching you learn new things, and express yourself, brings so much joy to my heart.  Its a the struggle of a momma's heart. And I'm learning everyday how to be the best momma I can be. Somedays I fall short, but I'm growing too! You are without a doubt, Gods precious gift to us. We received you with so much joy, and surrendered you back to the Lord. He has a call on your life and an incredible life for you. But woah, let's slow it down here... After all, you have only just turned one. 

Do you know why we chose the name Silas? Your name has a special meaning... and was picked for you long before you were born.


Silas was chosen after Silas, a missionary mentioned in the bible. Silas was a worshipper and a follower of Christ. We pray those two things over your life. The story of Paul and Silas in prison is what God has laid on my heart for you.

Acts 16:22-35*
22 The crowd joined in the attack against Paul and Silas, and the magistrates ordered them to be stripped and beaten with rods. 23 After they had been severely flogged, they were thrown into prison, and the jailer was commanded to guard them carefully. 24 When he received these orders, he put them in the inner cell and fastened their feet in the stocks.
25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them. 26 Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everyone’s chains came loose. 27 The jailer woke up, and when he saw the prison doors open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself because he thought the prisoners had escaped. 28 But Paul shouted, “Don’t harm yourself! We are all here!”
29 The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas.30 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. 33 At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his household were baptized. 34 The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God—he and his whole household.
35 When it was daylight, the magistrates sent their officers to the jailer with the order: “Release those men.” 36 The jailer told Paul, “The magistrates have ordered that you and Silas be released. Now you can leave. Go in peace.”

I love that even though Paul and Silas had every right to complain and be overwhelmed by their circumstances, they chose to worship the Lord. They knew that God was for them and would never abandon them there. Even more than that, through worship their chains were broken. But not only their chains! The chains that bound all the other prisoners and found favour with the prison guard. Choosing to worship through the pain is a powerful thing. There is no doubt in my mind, that God is going to use you to help free those who are bound. You have such calm personality and have a way of bringing joy to those around you. You are already the hands and feet of Christ. Keep being you.

I'm so blessed to be your momma. So honoured God chose me and I'm going to try my best to teach you, and lead you and discover with you.

Most of all, I just want to say I love, love, love you Silas James.
And happy first birthday, baby.

Love always and forever,
your momma




*Bible Gateway








Comments

Popular Posts