wilderness hymn


Dry cracked lips. Red dirt cakes itself to the bottom of my feet. Thousands of dust specks twirl in warm winds. Blowing hot breath in my face, clinging to my skin like a thick wool turtleneck sweater in the middle of summer. 

It's dry season in Africa.

The sun scorches all it touches, steaming up any water left laying around. Shade is a welcomed refuge for all who find its shelter. But that thick heat smog clings to me. 

It's just plain uncomfortable. 

I'm drinking a lot more water than I normally do. Trying to combat this raging heat with but a moment of coolness. One refreshing drop at a time. In moments such as this... I'd give anything for the breezy days of rainy season. 

Psalm 63:1 describes a time in King David's life when he was fleeing Absalom in the desert of Judah. Needless to say, it was not an incredibly fruitful time in his life. I can only imagine how incredibly hot, exhausted, desperate and betrayed he felt. 


"God, you are my God. I eagerly seek you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water." (Psalm 63:1)


David had seen God's promises come to pass and his hand upon his life. However, in this wilderness season, he was a king on the run from his very own son (2 Samuel 15:13-23). Despite the obvious pain and desperation of his situation, King David worshiped. Though it wasn't a happy tune of praise, it corresponded with his circumstances. Psalm 63 is worship of longing and intense aching. His desperation for God is even more evident than the physical desperation he must have felt. 

We may not be on the run to save our lives, but we will all encounter dry times in our lives. Just as there is a dry season and a rainy season here in Uganda, its all part of how we grow.

"I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands." (Psalm 63:2-4)


And those wilderness times have much to teach us if we remain still enough to listen. 


You recognize your need for roots that go down deep. 

In the physical, you need water to survive. In the spiritual, you need the living water... the life-giver... the source. You need to find your taproot and go down deep. It's tough to break through that dirt soil when you are already overwhelmed by the heat. Your source of strength only comes from Jesus. You have to dig deep to drink life. 

 You recognize your need to slow down & rest. 

In the shade. In the house. In the quiet place. A place to sit and rest in the heat of the day. The more you try to accomplish the hotter you become. The dry times can be a reminder to make room for rest in your day. 

You recognize that the dryness doesn't dictate the harvest.

Seasons come and seasons go. That's why it's called a season. It doesn't last forever and will soon be replaced with rain and coolness and fruit. The circumstance doesn't not dictate your future. It doesn't mean you are finished. You can grow despite the dry. 

You recognize your desire is to thrive, not just survive. 


Changing your thoughts from "if only I could make it through this difficult time" or praying for it to change... to worshiping the Lord regardless of the season you find yourself in. It's not easy... but with God, all things are possible. 

"For you have been my help, and in the shadow of you wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me."

(psalm 63:7-8)


In those wilderness times of David's life (he had a few, as will you), he had ample time to spend pouring his heart out to God. His faith grew, not in spite, but due to the dry times. So, in desert times... how will you worship hard in your waiting times?

What will your wilderness hymn be?


____
For more reading on others who experienced God in the wilderness, check out:
Hagar (Genesis 16:13-14)
Moses (Exodus 3:1-4)
Elijah (1 Kings 19:4-8)

Comments

Popular Posts